Study Abroad

Study Abroad

Discuss about study abroad program directory with study abroad information including summer study abroad programs, study abroad scholarship information, internship study abroad programs & language study abroad courses. Read student reviews and blogs. Check out our student guide, articles, and videos

Renew Indian Passport more than an year before Expiration

My passport expires after 18 more months, but I need to get a new one since I'm going for Visa stamping shortly and US Authorities wouldn't issue Visa/i94 beyond Passport Expiry date! I will lose at least 10 months of stay in USA if I can't renew my passport before I go for stamping.

From Indian Consulate website, I see that passports can be renewed when there is ONLY 1 year left for expiration (so if this is the case I can't renew it now, but only after 6 more months, but that would be after my L1 Visa stamping!). Does anyone know how to handle this situation? Would a cover letter to Consular General, explaining my situation, work? Has anyone experienced this situation in the past? Appreciate any help.

• GurukulGalaxy

By GurukulGalaxy

indian passport officials allow renewal only if the expiry date is less than 12 months.

• GurukulGalaxy

By GurukulGalaxy

Following is the suggestion I got from attorney: "PLEASE NOTE: Your passport will expire in 2012. If your H-1B is approved for the full 3-years requested, you must also have more than 3 years on your passport. The Consulate and/or the officer at the airport may cut the validity of your H-1B visa and/or status based on your passport validity dates. Therefore, please renew your passport at this time. You should have a new passport in time for your visa appointment at the US Consulate. Once you receive your new passport, please upload a copy for our records."

• GurukulGalaxy

By GurukulGalaxy

American consulate requires that the passport be valid for at least 6 months when you go for stamping

• GurukulGalaxy

By GurukulGalaxy

You can re-issues the passport if Students going for higher studies abroad upto 2 years from expiry of Passport.

Reference - http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/ApplicationformInstructionBooklet-V3.0.pdf